Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Reflections from the JoGLE team a few weeks on... 

Total raised now £36,787.


The team have now had some time away from their saddles. Here, they reflect and give thanks for their JoGLE journey.


For 12 cyclists, some with very little previous experience, to cover the length of the UK as a group was an ambitious goal.  The time and effort that went into the 6 months of preparation and training was admirable enough but even then as we all stood on the start line in John O Groats there was so much that could and did go wrong.  The crashes, injuries, punctures, mechanicals, tiredness, etc would have easily derailed a less determined group, but the galvanising thought that pulled us through in those tough moments/ days was that we were all on a mission for a man we all hold in such high regard.  Without the shared goal of doing it for Nick and the support of our amazing drivers, I am not sure we would have all made it!  For me this led to a completely different type of experience than the one I was expecting, one where we built a great camaraderie and support, problem solving and finding a way to get to our destination each day.  From a cycling perspective the highlights have to be the ride through Glen Coe, riding 30 miles on Day 8 with my daughters and the descent in Cheddar Gorge - I really did feel a bit like a Tour de France rider speeding down this beautiful bit of road!  These were highlights but for me the trip was all about our collective goal of getting everyone to the finish line.  Meeting Nick's family in Padstow on the penultimate night and everyone greeting us at Lands End was very emotional and filled me with a deep sense of satisfaction.

Dan 'the man who can (do anything) ' Newman


12 intrepid travellers rode from John o’Groats to Land's End,
There were views and adventures around every bend,
Some riders went fast and some riders went slow,
But all had a very long way to go.

We grew closer as a team every day,
And learnt more about each other than we would care to say,
Damien’s snoring or Sam’s night time adventures, would keep up smiling as we cycled to new ventures in

Without our support crew we would have been totally lost,
No boarders or counties would ever have been crossed,
Thanks to them all for their unwavering commitment, for looking after us, our washing and all of our equipment,
There were very big smiles when Kate had made dinner,
Although we cycled hard I didn’t come home any thinner..!

Looking back on the journey brings a tear to my eye,
We pushed ourselves to the limit and not once asked ourselves why,
I feel blessed to have been part of this unbelievable team, and this journey has shown what happens when we dare to dream.

Tom 'I didn't really train' Birch



Having had just over a week to process what we managed to do over the summer I honestly would not change a single minute. Our journey from John O’Groats literally had everything. Fun, strife, adversity, persistence, team work and a whole lot of love from a whole lot of people.


The JOGLE experience has highlighted even further to me the impact that Nick has had on peoples lives, from those that knew him for years, to those hearing about his story for the first time. Everyone we spoke to about our cause and about Nick wanted to get involved and contribute in some way which is nothing short of profound.

Many people have asked since we have completed our epic adventure, if I would do it again, and I have responded each time with the word ‘tomorrow’. I feel incredibly privileged to be a part of a community that comes together to make such a massive impact, and I can’t wait to see what we can do in the future. I’m now off to ice the Hematoma that’s still growing on my leg. 

Lewis 'haematoma' Ali 


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was witnessing the whole spectrum of human emotion in 9 days!

I was fortunate enough to visit some of the most beautiful parts of the UK whilst supporting awe inspiring humans, who pushed their bodies to their limit every day (almost always with a smile). The riders successfully completed a gargantuan task and in the process raised a life changing amount of money in memory of a beloved colleague who himself, changed many lives. I couldn’t think of a more apt tribute. 

Kate 'reels r us' Atherton



What a privilege to have been involved in such an adventure with such an amazing bunch of teachers for such a good cause. I’ve never completed anything so physically and mentally challenging in my life, and it’s quite possible I’ll never top this, so I’m so glad I was involved with JOGLE - my bike may have given up on day 11 but (thanks to the indispensable Dan) I can still claim to have cycled every centimetre across the length of Scotland and England, and even a little bit of Wales. I’m so proud of us as a group that all 12 started and all 12 finished, ably assisted by the indomitable support drivers who made it all possible, what a feat of endurance and a fair amount of luck! Final thoughts: 1) I love cycling even more than when I started and can’t wait to get back on my bike 2) stretching and warming down is overrated 3) cycling as a group, just as we started, into a sunny Land’s End with a cheering welcoming party is a memory that’ll be hard to beat. 

Matt 'the route wrecker' Walker



I had no idea what I was signing up for when I agreed to be a “support driver” for JOGLE, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. Watching 12 amazing people achieve this incredible feat filled me with such pride, it was a honour to be in the background, being so much more than the “support driver" I signed up to be. 

Ev 'the lady in charge' Dolan



12 riders started and 12 riders finished, what an incredible team experience! It’s hard to fully comprehend what we’ve done but I bloody loved it. When I first agreed to do this, I had no idea what it would entail. For me, it’s been an experience of a lifetime. I owe the other 11 riders and 4 support drivers a great deal of gratitude for the sacrifices they’ve all made taking this on #strongertogether

Crossing the finish line together at Lands End and seeing Nick’s family made the months of training, mechanical failures and endless hills worth it. Even more so when Nick’s Mum shared some of his favourite birthday cake with us ❤️.

I feel blessed to have accomplished this for such a great man and I can certainly say we had an epic time doing it, with many giggles along the way (many of which were whilst climbing a hill…thanks Becky and Shelts🤣).

The memories made with this group of people will stay with me for a lifetime, thank you #SJBTeamJOGLE and everyone who supported us along the way (including the random people who shouted words of encouragement out of car windows). I’ve truly been blown away by the generosity of everyone, thank you.

Becks 'nav queen' Jeppeson



It's hard to put into words, but the 12 days of JOGLE brought a sense of community and togetherness that I've not felt in a long time.
It would have been so much harder without the support of everyone riding, the support drivers, the encouragement at home and the reason for doing it all, Nick. 
I've been back on the bike since and it doesn't feel the same, nothing can quite match the feeling. When Bannon said there would be a comedown from the ride I didn't believe him. 
Currently looking for the next challenge to match the feeling of completing JOGLE with a great set of people...

Sam (Winnie) Young



So, a week on how do I feel?
Over the past week everyone I’ve talked to has asked me how it was…
It was hard… but possible.
It was wet… but not enough to make you miserable.
It was fun… but sometimes challenging.
It was unforgettable… but I don’t remember what happened everyday.
My body was battered… but I’m still riding.
It was a great way to honor a great man. Thank you to the whole team for pulling us all through. We definitely survived/endured/succeeded as a team.

Vicky 'hard as nails' Sears 



Completing JOGLE has been my biggest physical achievement to date. I was so apprehensive setting out on day 1 as I just didn't know how my body would cope with cycling 80 miles for 12 consecutive days. But, by day 3, I soon realised it was also a mental challenge; a challenge of resilience when days didn't go to plan and we needed to fix punctures or track down bike shops. Despite the physical and mental challenges, I had an absolute blast and keep thinking back to the most hilarious moments - humour and laughter definitely got us through!! 

It was a privilege to cycle for such a worthy cause in memory of such a lovely colleague, Nick. A highlight of the trip was having dinner with Nick's family - a real reminder of why we were doing what we were doing and a chance to share some fond memories and stories about Nick. 

I'm still recovering from sore achilles one week on but I am enjoying using the excuse of needing to give them time to recover to avoid doing any exercise for a while. I will always look back on our achievement with pride; the sore ankles and bottoms were definitely worth it. 

Becky 'the battered bike' Shepherd 



Our JOGLE adventure was such an amazing experience. Reflecting on the 12 days… the messages of support, the £££ raised and the sense of togetherness really encapsulated what makes our SJB community so special.  I’m very proud to have been part of this magnificent event. A special word of thanks to our support team - they were fab! 

Damien 'cornetto Stevie' Kelly 



When I first signed up to support the JOGLE challenge, I didn’t quite know what I’d be letting myself in for (and how much laundry would actually be involved!) From the trip, there are two things that I learnt. Firstly, the trip allowed us to see people and communities at their finest. From those working in cafes to those running a cycle shop, whether it be a social media share of our Justgiving page or a kind stranger leaving a bag of water bottles by our bus, we witnessed so much love and support along the road which really warmed my heart. Secondly, I learnt about the true power of resilience and determination. The 12 riders woke up every day, feeling a little more sore from the last, and took on the miles ahead without fail. The physical, mental and emotional strength they demonstrated is something that I hope to replicate in my own life and I am in awe of what they have managed to achieve. It’s true what they say - not all superheroes wear capes… they wear bib shorts.

Faith 'the other lady in charge' Ruffle 



It’s been six days since we finished JOGLE and what we’ve achieved is just starting to sink in.

When I mentioned to staff in briefing that I was thinking of doing something for Nick, to raise money for a charity of his choice and give him something to laugh at in my suffering I had no idea what it would involve.

The fact 12 of us have cycled the length of the UK and raised nearly £40,000 in doing so is incredible. Firstly that is a serious amount of money that is going to go toward a brilliant charity that helps people when they are most in need and secondly it seems this adventure has brought the community together to share in our challenges and remember a truly great man.

My only disappointment is that Nick was not there to see us in at the end. However I know he was looking down on us all throughout - most likely laughing as we suffered in the hills of Cornwall!

The whole 12 days was a complete high - far too many to mention now. What I will say is that everyone should see the highlands of Scotland. My other highlight from the trip was having dinner with Nick’s family on the penultimate eve.

Thank you to everyone who supported us throughout this trip, those who sent us well wishes, fellow JOGLE cyclists and a special thank you to the support team - Ev, Kate, Faith, Sophia and Bethan. Without you none of this would have been possible.

James 'get some new shorts' GH 



What an amazing experience it was getting to support these 12 inspirational individuals during their last few days of JOGLE. Multiple life lessons were learnt including what a laundrette is and how to use one, a crash course in bike parts and not to mention swapping my mini for Proud Mary (the minibus). It really was the best time, they are all amazing and thank you to everyone who has supported them and this wonderful charity. 

Sophia 'launderette' Lovett



It's a few weeks on and my quads still hurt walking upstairs; I have anxiety going up hills in a car. But I wouldn't change anything. JoGLE showed all of us what we can to as a collective for one brilliant man. We dug deep, laughed a lot, ate unfathomable amounts of food and cycled 1005 miles. I couldn't ever anticipate the mental and physical toll and the cumulative effect of 12 days back to back on the bike, but porridge, buses in laybys, deep heat and wearing no shoes or pants somehow got us through! What a pleasure and honour to be part of SJB team JoGLE. It's still sinking in and JoGLE has been an experience which will last forever, just like Nick will in our hearts. 

Emily 'the tube' Shelton



My time with Team JOGLE was short but certainly sweet. I was drafted into the support driving team last minute for the final day of driving and I’m so grateful because it meant I had the pleasure of witnessing the camaraderie, hard work, determination and love of all involved - even through the mechanical issues so close to the finish line!

Getting to see the team cross the line at Land’s End surrounded by family and friends was very emotional (lots of tears were shed!) but an incredible highlight.

I’m so proud of the whole team for going above and beyond for Nick and the Royal Marsden. What they were able to achieve is quite hard to comprehend, and I’m completely in awe of every single one of them.

Beth 'to the rescue' Payling 


I've not yet taken the opportunity to truly reflect and take stock of the scale of what we have achieved. I was extremely nervous on that first morning sat in the minibus to John o'Groats and was unsure whether I was capable of completing the day 1 ride - let alone the 11 more days which were to follow. The nerves soon turned to enjoyment as we rode through some beautiful scenery and laughed our way to our destination in the middle of nowhere. That first day set the tone for the whole trip - full of laughs, tears, food, bumpy roads, wind, rain and the occasional ray of sunshine. 

Lots of people have asked how the ride was and my one-word response is always "amazing". Everyone in the group played their part and went above and beyond to help each other, whether it was Dan giving words of encouragement at the top of each hill, Tom coming up with his silly little games to make the days go faster, Emily providing the laughs as tube girl or Ev, Faith, Kate and Sophia washing our dirty kit. Every day threw us something different to deal with and as a team we came up with solutions to get everyone through. The whole trip was a reminder of the strong community we are a part of and it is an honour and a privilege to have been involved in the SJB JOGLE.

Lows for me were cycling through Glen Coe with my rear brake on, hitting a wall of hills in Cornwall and taking the tumble in Ambleside but the highlights far outweigh the lowlights. The beauty of the highlands, crossing the border into England to find smooth road surfaces and the greeting by Nick's family in Lands End, a reminder of why we had completed the challenge, are memories that will live with me forever.

My body is just starting to feel normal again and my hands have begun to stop peeling, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. 
Jon 'the faffer' Hacker



Thank you to everyone who donated, cheered, washed socks, followed us, visited us, fed us, honked at us and made this journey all happen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment